Friday, July 14, 2006

What any father might wish for their child

Maia has blogged about her concerns for how a friend's baby boy will grow up. She's copped a fair bit of flack for some of her comments, but it got me thinking about what I'd wish for my girls. This is no definitive list, but it's my top of mind top five (with apologies to Nick Hornby)...
  1. Love. I hope they continue to enjoy the love of a large and diverse family complete with aunties, uncles, friends, mentors & odd, inexplicable others.
  2. Health. I hope my girls enjoy rude good health.
  3. Humour. The world is divided into net energy consumers and net energy producers, all the funny people I know are producers.
  4. Courage. The courage of Katherine Mansfield, please not Ed Hiliary, who once said "I believe the greatest failing of all is to be frightened".
  5. Luck. A little good fortune goes a long way as said John Bradford.

2 comments:

crasster said...

Good list. I'd add "confidence". I believe one of the biggest factors in a person's success is confidence in themselves.

backin15 said...

Agreed. Confidence is essential; it'll get you into trouble, but not half as much as it'll get you out of... that at least is my experience.