Thursday, November 27, 2008

Memey memey meme-meme

Bloody economists.

Seven totally trivial facts, in no particular order.
  1. I did a Christian TV show when I was at school, Wavelength it was called. I was a regular. It made me real popular with the Novices and got me into all the best prayer-groups.

  2. I really regret not going to see The The in 1989 'cause I thought I had a chance with a girl I can no longer recall.

  3. In 1986, I was stoned for the first time ever on the very day that the nice people from the Government visited to audit my personal Census return - I'd mucked something up, I don't know that I was capable of unmucking it.

  4. I once gave a presentation to a visiting Botswanan delegation that focused largely on training in the seafood industry (I've not travelled much).

  5. Don McGlashan briefly taught me trumpet while I was at secondary school.

  6. David Lange beat my grandfather for the Labour nomination in the 1977 Mangere by-election (he never made the most of it but).

  7. The first gig I ever went to was the second-last Enz with a Bang gig at the Logan Campbell Centre in 1984.

Tagging poneke, jafapete, Trotter, ex-expat and the browncardigan crew.

7 comments:

Giovanni Tiso said...

These facts seem highly pointful and not at all trivial to me.

backin15 said...

I should have tagged your good self Giovanni.

Stephanie said...

It always about a girl when you miss stuff...

backin15 said...

I hope that didn't sound unduly harsh... just reflecting on the priorities of youth... gigs vs girls...

Anonymous said...

An intriguing list. I worked with David Lange some time in about 1982? when I was a law student.

There was an option to do work for the Manager Law Centre and he was a high flying Labour MP at the time. I was surprised not many took the chance but the ones who did had a great time.

It was a remarkable time to be able to help the locals and we went a few times to Vietnamese restaurants in Otahuhu for a debrief.

backin15 said...

That would've been a fascinating experience. As I understand it, he had a pretty challenging practice.

I met David several times, mostly when I was at Law School and through the then Dean, Margaret Wilson. On one occassion we discussed my grandfather - who went on to be the deputy mayor for Manukau for many years - Lange was respectful though it was clear they'd not got on.

Deborah said...

I think random fact no. 3 is the best.