Sunday, April 01, 2007

Milestone (of sorts)

I've blogged for a year now, 268 posts, I suspect that puts me in the 90 percentile? I imagine most bloggers quickly lose interest as either their audience or their spare time diminishes. For me its a bit of both. Good blogging is not something that can be done quickly. The best bloggers are good writers and good writing is time consuming.

In this last year, the single most challenging blog post I've read was written by krimsonlake (earlier blog posts no longer appear). Her post about the banality and frustration of life on a benefit was the perfect antidote to the likes of Lindsay Mitchell. It was honest and simple and it was searingly authentic.

I now content myself with a clutch of regular reads, publicaddress, NRT, span, mainlypolitics and the always amusing grabthar and spareroom, plus a few others mainly through their feeds. I still regularly check for when waiterrant, browncardigan, and cheezy have posted new stuff too.

I hope to be able to blog a little more frequently after last months hiatus - regular trips to Canberra mean early starts and later nights (I spent 38 mins waiting for a taxi at Sydney airport last Wednesday night, that's almost exactly how long I was in the bloody air getting there)...

If I could choose just a few posts of my own that I enjoyed writing it would be this little series on migration.

I still don't own an iPod.

4 comments:

Span said...

Congrats on making a year! I think you are right, most blogs die within a few months.

I find Bloglines (www.bloglines.com) indispensable for keeping track of the blogs I like to read, particularly those who post infrequently.

Congrats again and all the best for your second year blogging :-)

Chris said...

I've yet to work out how to use bloglines or actually any type of sitefeed, but at least I have an iPod :-) Don't know how I would survive without it quite frankly. With over 5,600 songs and counting, it's the ultimate travel companion...

I know what you mean about good blogging taking time. I prefer to think about what I am writing rather than just belt out whatever is in the front of my mind at the time. I'm not a big fan of the talkback style of blogging either, whereby people just post 2-3 lines about something someone else has written without really having their own view, instead relying on comments from others. As for the people who manage more than 4-5 posts everyday - do they get any sunshine?

backin15 said...

Thanks to you both - I use bloglines and find it invaluable. I don't want to talk about iPods... 4 - 5 posts is more time than I have though I greatly appreciate the efforts of others - they frequently give voice to my concerns.

Chris said...

Well, I signed up for bloglines and I do have to admit it is a great way of keeping track. Shame there is no similar way of keeping track of comments...